I want to tell you a secret about “motivation”.
Now, this secret is something you master naturally as a result of going through the Best of You program, but it isn’t obvious until I point it out. And if you’re not in Best of You, this secret will help your frame of mind while you trek along your journey to better health.
“Motivation” is a hot topic — lots of people in the diet community will talk about “getting motivated” to reach their goals, and they usually have a great start to their new diet or fitness programs because they’re hyped for it.
Here’s the problem: the sense of excitement and novelty wears off. It starts to get tough. People lose motivation.
Here’s common behavior I see from people outside of Best of You:
- Having a “blah” day, so putting off going to the gym until the next day when they’ll feel more up to the task
- Seeing that it’s cold and raining outside, which makes them want to curl up in bed and do nothing all weekend
- Going to a gathering with friends and feeling like they want a part of the fun, so they cave into their feelings and drink sugary cocktails or eat chips like everyone else
And you know what usually happens? They regret all of it afterwards. They feel guilty, because they had a single lapse of judgement which overpowered their sense of motivation, and they fell off their wagon.
Now it’s one thing to fall off and get back on ASAP, but many of these people will lose the initial motivation that got them going in the first place.
So the secret is, you shouldn’t rely on motivation.
I want to tell you about a member of Best of You who has a HUGE win to celebrate because she mastered this concept (pics will follow).
Here’s what she did:
- She made a commitment to complete 10,000 steps every day despite how she felt, and learned how to finish the day strong
- She went to the beach with friends and opted out of sugary cocktails and chips… and while she did feel a little “extra” being the only one eating salad with protein, she resisted the peer pressure
And what does she have to show for it?
She traded REGRET for RESULTS.
Imagine feeling like you’re squeezing into a bathing suit, then 12 weeks later feeling like that same bathing suit is too big.
That’s what happened with this member! (She even joked it wasn’t a win because she really liked her bathing suit!)
Take a look at these transformation photos and tell me if you can see the difference:
As you can see, she shrunk. A lot of excess adipose tissue around her bra and back areas are gone, and now her clothes are baggy.
Over 12 weeks in Best of You, this member built up her capacity to set aside temporary feelings or urges, and she mastered the skill of drawing action from DISCIPLINE instead of MOTIVATION.
Because here’s the truth:
Your motivation will fluctuate. And when that happens, you only have your discipline to fall back on.
When you have trained to master discipline, like you do when you complete a challenging program like Best of You, you can achieve these amazing results for yourself too.
How do I know this? Because we ALL have these days where we feel tired or surrounded by temptations, and we all go through times when it sucks to do what we’re supposed to do.
The important thing is to stick with it! If you aren’t there yet, just keep going and it will naturally come to you.
Lots of my Best of You members learn this skill without even realizing it’s what they’re doing. And THAT is what makes it so powerful.